December 6, 2013

On the Reading List: November 2013

I haven’t featured a reading list on the blog in some time, and have recently been inspired by these books. Since graduating college, I did a total about-turn and exclusively read young adult fiction about vampires (though not of the sparkly variety – I haven’t gone completely off the bend) and dystopic worlds, but have recently started gravitating back towards the kinds of books I used to read in college. When I’m stressed, tired, or upset about something, there’s really nothing better than curling up with a good book, a lit candle, and some tea.

Here are three books that have inspired me this month:


Grace: A Memoir, by Grace Coddington: I’ve wanted to read this for ages, ever since I watched The September Issue and found out soon after that she was going to publish a book. It’s so interesting to read something written by someone you so admire for their keen, artistic eye, and all the people and influences that have shaped that vision. Really easy read.

Wild, by Cheryl Strayed: After I tweeted about a short story she published and read all her Dear Sugar articles, this became a must-read for me. I cried, in the best way possible, in the way you do when people write words that touch that special nerve in your heart, where you feel so connected with the humanity of world, and you are just so endlessly inspired by situations and people that are described. What I meant to say in that roundabout way is: read it. This is a beautiful memoir.

The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman: Haven’t read much of Neil Gaiman in recent years (American Gods remains a firm favorite though), but I was really drawn to this novel when I saw it on the shelves. Beautifully illustrated, just an all-round wonderful Gaiman novel.


What’s next on my list? Alexa Chung’s It (my haircut was inspired by hers!), Donna Tartt’s The Goldfinch (which my colleague got me for Christmas!), and perhaps the extremely daunting list of 100 best books compiled by editors of the New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment