July 25, 2013

On the reading list this month

I read so many great books in June (and have read even MORE great books this month, eep - where has July gone?) that it was hard narrowing it down to three recommendations! But here they are:

Learn: Lean In, by Sheryl Sandberg
This book should come as no surprise and will not be new to anyone, but I really enjoyed her story and what Sheryl Sandberg had to say about work/life balance and being a woman in the workplace. For someone just starting out (and struggling, to say the least), it was a personal, insightful look into a successful woman's career journey.

Online: The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin
The personal website of the NY Times' bestselling author - I have loved reading this site almost daily and getting bits of advice on how to be happier.

It has very honestly been a struggle for me these past months to be happy, content, and satisfied with where I am in life, and I think that Gretchen's honest, very personal, and very applicable stories have helped me get onto a path of a little less unhappiness. She has reminded me of the importance of making my happiness a priority (which, I know, isn't that weird that I even have to be reminded of that? Such is the lot of ambitious, crazy people I assume.) - follow her blog, there is a lot of wisdom there!

Fun: the Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare
One day I swear I'm going to compile a large blog post about all the dystopian young adult novels that I have read and loved, and this series will definitely be at the top of my list. Cassandra Clare is famous for her other series - the Mortal Instruments - now turned into a film starring the very lovely Lily Collins, but I think that the Infernal Devices are BY FAR superior to the Mortal Instruments.

I don't want to give anything away, but I've only read this series 2x in the past 2 weeks. Clockwork Princess is my absolute favorite - I think Clare writes with incredible sensitivity to dying, and loss, and self-sacrifice for the greater good. There is such emotional depth in these novels and yes, I cried buckets  while reading them. They are THAT good.

Any other good books I should be reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment